Nelson Boxers won a trio of medals during a recent fight card in Spokane, Washington.
Leah Eberle, Riel Martinez and Marino Raffo all won their respective bouts this past weekend in the Lilac City.
Eberle, 16, won a very tough, fast paced decision against #6 (USA) ranked Rosalee Ruiz from Walla Walla, WA. Eberle was coming off a silver medal performance at the National Championships and really put all her skills and conditioning to the test against a very talented opponent.
Martinez, 13, used his strength and aggressive boxing to earn a decision against Matthew Charlton from Portland, Or. Martinez dug deep to get the win against a very experienced and speedy opponent.
Meanwhile, Raffo, 11, won a dominant decision against Alec Grant, Spokane, WA. Raffo’s superior boxing skills and southpaw angles were the difference against the very tough Grant.
The Spokane card concludes a very successful season inside the ring for the Nelson Boxing Club.
Some of the highlights include:
- 77 total bouts
- 9 BC Provincial Champions (Ryan Lewis, Elias Martinez, Brayden Hellekson, Riel Martinez, Max Berkeley, Leah Eberle, Stryder Sutton, Makalu Babott, Brett Adams) 1 Bronze Medal, 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer, Alberta (Brayden Hellekson)
- 3 Silver Medalists and 1 Bronze at the Canadian Championships in Langford, BC. (Elias Martinez, Leah Eberle, Makalu Babott, Brayden Hellekson)
- 4 Tacoma Golden Gloves Champions (Stryder Sutton, Riel Martinez, Leah Eberle, Makalu Babott)
- 1 Alberta Golden Gloves Champion (Brett Adams)
- Jimmy Simms Award for Excellence (Samson Berkeley) Junior Boxer of the Year (Elias Martinez)
- Voted Boxing Club of the Year by the BC Amateur Boxing Association
"We are very proud of these great athletes who compete in one of the most demanding sports on earth and are developing into great boxers and great people," said a Nelson Boxing Club spokesperson.
"The amateur team will be working hard over the summer on conditioning goals in order to exceed these accomplishments in 2020."
Nelson Boxing Club hosts Summer Camps
The Nelson Boxing Club is excited to present a mash-up of Parkour and Boxing in the form of Summer Camps for kids ages 7-11 this July and August in collaboration with the Nelson Boxing and Athletics Club.
These camps will offer a unique experience for kids and a nice break for parents, combining fitness, fun and learning over five days — July 22nd to 26th, or August 19th to 23rd.
Parkour and non-contact boxing instruction, exercises, games and more will all be included! Sessions will run from 9:00am to noon! If you're interested in signing up, contact Mateus at email@example.com or (250) 265-1577.
Online sign up will be available soon, along with a Facebook event and more details, so stay tuned.