Today’s Poll

One person transported to KLH after smoke fills Nelson residence

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
November 28th, 2017

A Nelson resident was transported to Kootenay Lake Hospital after Nelson Fire Rescue responded to a call of smoke in a home in the Fairview district of Nelson Monday evening.

Nelson Fire Rescue said in a media release in total four firefighters responded to the call at 7:15 p.m. Monday on Kokanee Avenue.

“The cause appears to have originated in the kitchen oven that was being used to heat food on a plate with a plastic lid,’’ the Nelson Fire Rescue release said.

“There was no fire extension beyond the oven and damage was contained to the contents and the oven itself.

“Smoke was cleared from the structure using a positive pressure ventilation fan.”

This is the second kitchen related call Nelson Fire Rescue responded to in the past few days.

Friday, Nelson Fire Rescue was called to the Bevanne Apartments at 400 Silica Street when a fire started when a tennant fell asleep with a pot on the stove.

Monday when crews arrived, firefighters first assessed the exterior of the residence before a primary search inside was conducted.

“The first arriving crew’s primary objective was occupant safety and to ensure that there was no fire within the structure,” the release said.

“The occupant was removed to a safe location outside due to a strong plastic smell and moderate smoke.”

Nelson Fire Rescue said four firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine and two utility vehicles.

“The lone occupant was assessed by EHS for smoke inhalation and transported to KLH for further assessment,” the release said.

“There was a working smoke alarm in the residence but was checked and found to be past its expiry date life.
“A new smoke alarm was installed by Nelson Fire Rescue personal.”

Nelson Fire Rescue said there is no further investigation as a result of the incident.

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services reminds the public to use safe practices in the kitchen.

“Keep a clean tidy kitchen and never store food, plastic or other combustibles on your stove top or in your oven. In this incident, a working smoke alarm played a key role in alerting the resident to a problem, allowing her to call 911 for assistance.”

Nelson Fire Rescue said homes should have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your residence and to check your expiry dates and change alarms where necessary.

Categories: General

Other News Stories