Sign up for Nelson Rail Trail Volunteer FireSmart Day
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services is hosting a Rail Trail Volunteer FireSmart Day on Saturday, April 30th, 2022.
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help “FireSmart” a portion of our Rail Trail above Nelson that will increase the Trail’s wildfire resiliency by reducing the amount of combustible fuel that is on the ground along the Trail.
Volunteers will help to remove the woody debris that allow wildfires to spread along the ground and learn FireSmart vegetation management techniques from local experts.
The project is being led by the City of Nelson’s Fire Chief, Len MacCharles, and working alongside members of the fire department, volunteers will have the opportunity to actively engage in making our community safer from wildfires.
“Together we can reduce the risk of wildfire in our community.”
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services can only accommodate a maximum of 40 volunteers at this event, so those interested will need to pre-register by going to this link.
Volunteers 14 years and older will:
- Carry, drag or toss woody material from 10m on either side of the Trail to be chipped, hauled away or pile burned
- Help inform and direct Trail users around hazardous areas
- Learn how and why Nelson Fire & Rescue Services are working to FireSmart our community
- Learn some FireSmart techniques that you can utilize around your own home to protect your home
- Learn new resources and tools to become FireSmart and ways to support your neighbours to do the same
This event is made possible thanks to funding from Columbia Basin Trust and support from RDCK and BC Wildfire Service. It is sure to be a day full of community spirit, fun, wildfire education and a little elbow grease.
Volunteers will learn how and why Nelson Fire & Rescue Services is working to FireSmart our community as well as learn easy and proactive techniques that can be utilized for their own properties.
Registered volunteers will be given a cool “Nelson FireSmart Team” t-shirt, and a light lunch the day of the event.
There are a limited number of spaces available for volunteers and you must register to attend, so SIGN UP TODAY!