Today’s Poll

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to house fire

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
July 4th, 2019

Nelson Fire Rescue responded to its second fire in a week after crews were called to a house fire located between Victoria and Silica Street in Nelson Wednesday afternoon.

Fire dispatch received the call at 5:34 p.m. Wednesday from a woman who said, “her house was on fire and full of smoke.”

Nelson Fire Rescue, which dealt with a fire at the Alpine Motel last week, immediately dispatched the day crew as well as all off-duty members who were able to attend.

“Upon arrival of the first members it was confirmed that there was a working fire in the lower level of the house,” the Nelson Fire Rescue media release said.

“As we had confirmation that nobody was still in the house a crew was tasked with interior fire attack. The seat of the fire was found towards the rear of the structure and crews were able to quickly extinguish the bulk of the visible fire.”

The release said additional crews were assigned to check for fire extension into the walls and ceilings that would allow the fire to spread to the upstairs suite. 

“Fortunately, the fire was contained to the original suite with a relatively minor amount of smoke making its way into the upstairs,” the release said.

Nelson Fire Rescue said one firefighter was taken to Kootenay Lake Hospital and treated for heat exhaustion like symptoms. 

“He was released after being assessed and returned to work,” the release said.

Nelson Fire Rescue said two engines, two utility vehicles and ten personnel attended the scene along with Nelson Police. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Nelson Fire Rescue would like to thank those calling 9-1-1 and Police personnel for their assistance.

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to remind everyone that FireSmart home assessments can be requested by calling 250-352-3103.

Nelson Fire Rescue members work to knock down the fire between the 300 Block of Victoria and Silica Street Wednesday. — Nelson Fire Rescue photo

There was extensive damage inside the house. — Nelson Fire Rescue photo

Categories: General

Other News Stories