Leafs busy assembling squad, open exhibition season with 3-3 tie in Grand Forks
Sawyer Hunt scored twice as the Nelson Leafs opened the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League exhibition season with a 3-3 tie against Grand Forks Border Bruins Sunday afternoon in the Boundary City.
Jack Karran also scored for the Leafs with Josh Williams and Quinn Yeagher splitting the netminding duties.
The game was the first of a six-game preseason schedule for the Green and White.
Nelson travels to Castlegar to face the Rebels Tuesday before meeting the defending KIJHL champs from Beaver Valley in Fruitvale Thursday.
The Leafs conclude the exhibition campaign with homes games Friday, Saturday and Sunday against Beaver Valley, Castlegar and Grand Forks, respectively, at the NDCC Arena.
Friday and Saturday games begin at 7 p.m. with Sunday’s puck drop set for 2 p.m.
Nelson opens the regular season Friday, September 8 against the Nitehawks.
Nelson General Manager Lance Morey has been busy of late assembling the 2017-18 edition of the Leafs.
In the past few weeks, Morey has made several moves to bolster the lineup for the Green and White.
- Leafs acquire Nelson Minor Hockey grad and forward Justin Podrenko (98) from Castlegar for a PDF
- Leafs acquire 6’ 6” Jake Hryhoriw (97 born) Defenseman from the Hearst Lumberjacks Northern Ontario Junior A Hockey League for a PDF
- Leafs reacquire Forward/ Defenseman Brent Headon (98) from Fernie for Colum McGauly. (Headon was the player to be named later in the Alex Meeker deal with 100 Miles House Wranglers. His rights were then moved to Fernie Ghostriders)
- Leafs acquire Defenseman 98 born defenseman Jordan Popoff from North Okanagan Knights for a PDF
- Leafs move Forward Cooper Schroder (98) to Spokane Braves for a PDF
- Leafs sign Goalie Josh Williams (97) from the Fort Mac Oil Barons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League where he played last season as well as (99) Goalie Quinn Yeagher from the Calgary Buffaloes AJHL.
- Leafs sign (99) Defenseman Michael Bladon from the Calgary Midget AAA Northstars
- Leafs sign (99) born Forward David Sanchez from the Grand Prairie Midget AAA Storm
Morey said Nelson still has flyers out on a few players currently in Junior A camps.