The Nelson Lions Club raises a lot of money from there various fundraisers, including the ever-popular Canada Day Pancake Breakfast, Magic Variety Show and Firewood Sale.
However, the Lions Club does not like to hold on to cash for very long.
Hence the reason for the club continuing to show support for numerous community programs and initiatives by awarding more than $9,000 to 15 groups in Nelson.
The recipients of the annual Community Grant Program include:
- Advanced Coronary Treatment Foundation
- Capitol Theatre
- Civic Theatre - youth n film workshops
- Nelson Baseball Association
- Nelson CARES Society
- Kootenay Emergency Response Physicians
- Kootenay Kids Society
- Kidsport Nelson
- Kalein Hospice Centre Society
- Nelson Friends of Refugees
- Nelson Fine Arts Centre Society - Oxygen Arts event
- Nelson Public Library - 100 year celebration
- Nelson Music Festival Association
- Salvation Army
- School District #8 - Outdoor Ed program
For more information on Nelson Lions Club go to the club's website.
Bill Brown, left, Nelson Lions member of finances and Lions Club President Paul Bogaard present Graham Jamin of Kidsport Nelson with a cheque for $600. — Submitted photo
Bill Brown and Lions Club President present 2019 recipients of Community Grant Program. — Submitted photo