Wildfire Risk Reduction Open House
The Nelson & Area Wildfire Risk Reduction Committee is hosting a Wildfire Risk Reduction Open House on Thursday, September 22.
The Committee includes representatives from BC Parks, City of Nelson, Ministry of Forests, and Regional District of Central Kootenay
This is an opportunity for you to participate in the conversation around wildfire threat to our communities and how we can all reduce the risk of wildfire in the community.
- When: Thursday, September 22, 6-8 p.m.
- Where: The Prestige Lakeside Resort, 701 Lakeside Dr, Nelson, BC, V1L 6G3
What it’s all about:
- This open house will provide opportunities for community members to engage directly with staff from the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK), City of Nelson, Ministry of Forests and BC Parks to better understand:
- The wildfire risk within and adjacent to our communities;
- Wildfire risk reduction activities underway; and
- What residents can do to reduce the risk of wildfire on their own properties.
What’s been happening:
The RDCK and the City of Nelson have undertaken fuel mitigation projects to aid in wildfire prevention. BC Parks has developed the West Arm Provincial Park Fire Management Plan to protect park values in the event of a wildfire. BC Parks has also undertaken some fuel mitigation work within West Arm Provincial Park, as well as within Kokanee Creek Provincial Park.
About the partnership:
The Nelson & Area Wildfire Risk Reduction Committee is committed to reducing the impact of wildfire in local communities by collaborating on wildfire mitigation projects, sharing information and resources, and keeping our communities informed.
The committee works closely with BC FireSmart, homeowners, agencies and land managers to help keep our communities safe. Visit the website to learn more about what is being done to reduce the risk of wildfire in your area, and what the community can do to help.
Learn more a www.rdck.ca/wildfireriskreduction