NPD looking for volunteers for the Reserve Constable Program
The Nelson Police Department is currently looking for ambitious and qualified individuals to participate in the Reserve Constable Program.
Reserve Constables are volunteers who under the supervision of a police officer, participate in community events and accompany patrol members while in a ride along capacity.
Nelson Police currently have an active compliment of seven Reserve Officers. The dedicated members of the Nelson Reserve Unit undergo more than 120 hours of training, much the same as regular police officers in their initial instruction phase at a police academy.
Each of the reserves volunteer over one hundred hours per year to activities which include:
- Patrol duties with regular members
- Traffic control for parades, functions and special events, including By-law enforcement and security functions
- Park Patrol on bicycles, on foot, or in the Community Policing vehicle
- Prisoner Guarding and security at crime scenes
- Bicycle Safety Programs, including bike rodeos and school safety lectures
- Assist and instruct at the annual Nelson Emergency Services Camp
To apply for the Reserve Constable Program, applicants should meet the minimum requirements before applying. Meeting these requirements does not qualify the applicant for one of the available reserve positions.
- Be willing to volunteer a minimum of 12 hours a month;
- Be 19 years of age or older;
- Not have a Criminal Record;
- Be of good moral character and habits;
- Be a Canadian Citizen or have Landed Immigrant status;
- Have completed High School;
- Possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence and satisfactory driving record;
- Have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Medical Fitness: Applicants must be physically fit and have a healthy lifestyle;
- Eye Standards: Meet colour vision and visual field requirements and have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/30, 20/100, unaided, correctable to 20/20, 20/30 respectively with either soft contact lenses or glasses;
- Hearing Standards: Must have normal hearing in each ear;
- Possess a current First Aid Certificate with CPR.
All documentation to support candidate eligibility will be required during the later stages of the recruiting process.
Please forward a resume and cover letter before November 6th, 2017 to:
- Cst. Alain Therrien Nelson Police Department 606 Stanley Street, Nelson, BC, V1L 1N4
- Phone: 250.354.3919 Fax: 250.354.4179 email@example.com