2012 Cancer Relay for Life, Nelson edition, goes June 16 at Lakeside Park
The 2012 Cancer Relay for Life, Nelson edition, may be just around the corner, but plenty of time remains for people to get teams together for the June 16 event.
The event begins at 10 a.m. from Lakeside Park. Teams will walk, run, ride or sprint, if they have the stamina to do so, for 12 hours to raise money for for cancer research.
“The Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life is an inspiring, non-competitive, 12 hour event where teams of up to 15 people take turnings walking, running or rolling around a track at Nelson’s Lakeside Park,” said Stacey Semenoff, Relay for Life support staff member.
“At the event there is non-stop live entertainment, activities for the whole family, and inspiring ceremonies.”
Funds raised at Relay allow the Canadian Cancer Society to:
• Fight all cancers by investing in the best cancer research
• Influence change through our advocacy efforts to create healthier environments and help individuals reduce their risk of cancer
• Empower Canadians with reliable, up-to-date information
• Speak up on issues that affect Canadians with cancer
• Provide a range of support programs to people living with cancer, including family members and caregiver
Semenoff said at Relay For Life people “celebrate” cancer survivors, “remember” loved ones lost, and “fight back” against cancer.
“Whether you would like to fundraise and join a team or start your own, if you are a cancer survivor or a caregiver, or if you’re a member of the community who just wants to join us for the day, come down to Lakeside Park between 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday June 16th,” Semenoff said.