Top 10 Excuses for No Insurance — RCMP
BC Highway Patrol – Kootenay has found a shocking number of drivers operating vehicles without valid insurance. From December 1, 2023, to January 11, 2024, BC Highway Patrol – Kootenay has located 177 drivers operating uninsured vehicles. Each driver received a violation ticket for no insurance for $598 dollars.
As a result, BC Highway Patrol has compiled the top 10 excuses encountered:
- ICBC never sent me a reminder.
- I am on the way to purchase insurance right now.
- I forgot.
- I don’t have a decal anymore.
- My insurance is paid for automatically, so I thought I didn’t need to renew.
- The registered owner is my mom, dad or friend and it’s their job.
- This is a company vehicle.
- My vehicle is actually insured, but I don’t have the documents.
- I cancelled the credit card that was making the preauthorized payments.
- I know I don’t have insurance, but I really needed to go somewhere.
Drivers should think about the risks of operating without insurance which include paying a significant fine, being financially responsible for a collision, and expensive towing costs, says the Officer in Charge of Kootenay Highway Patrol, Inspector Chad Badry.
There is a risk of a driver’s license suspension or increased sanctions in court for repeat offences.
Advice to registered owners and drivers:
- Owners must renew their own insurance as is not automatically renewed
- Drivers should check the expiry dates on vehicle’s documents before driving
- Renewal notices are sent only as a courtesy and your address should be up to date
- Set a reminder in your phone’s calendar
- Documents must be kept in the vehicle or drivers may receive an $81 dollar fine
Insurance can often be renewed online or over the phone. Do not drive the uninsured vehicle to the insurance broker to renew.
Arrange a ride with a friend or find alternative transportation if driving to renew your insurance is your only option.
Taking the bus, rideshare or taxi is cheaper than a $598-dollar violation ticket and towing costs.