Drug Alert issued for entire Interior Health Authority
In a media release, Interior Heath issued a DRUG ALERT for the entire Interior Heath Authority after Cocaine containing Fentanyl is believed to be causing a high risk of fatal overdoses.
Interior Health said this Cocaine is believed to be connected to multiple overdose incidents and fatalities throughout region.
“At this point we are aware of this occurring in the Central Okanagan and Kamloops area,” the Interior Health media release said.
“Anyone using Cocaine in the Interior Health region is advised to take safety measures and test their substance.”
Interior Health said users should be aware of safer drug use tips that can help prevent overdose as well as where they can access naloxone, drug checking and other overdose prevention services in their community.
Safer drug use tips include:
- Check drugs before using! Whether using take home fentanyl testing strips or accessing FTIR technicians in the area, drug checking can inform the user about what it in the drugs.
- Crush drugs into fine powder: Doing so reduces the chance of hot-spots, which are spikes of concentrated fentanyl in the dope.
- Be a Buddy: Help a friend by being around while they are using. Stagger use if you are using alone
- Smoking is not safer than injecting so be cautious when smoking drugs
- Be aware of risks mixing drugs with other drugs, including alcohol
- Start with a small amount and space out your doses
- Carry naloxone and know how to use it
- If using alone, consider LifeGuard App — lifeguarddh.com which can connect to 911 emergency responders if there is an overdose.