Today’s Poll

Minor injuries reported after fire starts inside room at Mountain Hound Inn

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
March 13th, 2018

One person received burns to a hand after a guest attempted to cook inside a room at the Mountain Hound Inn Nelson Fire Rescue said in a media release Tuesday.

Nelson Fire Rescue were called to the Baker Street location at 6:57 p.m. Monday to the report of a fire inside one of the Mountain Hound rooms.

“Upon arrival of the first crew, the front desk staff had evacuated the building and reported the fire had been extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher,” Nelson Fire Rescue said.

“The occupants of the room were attempting to cook food with a white camping gas outdoor stove and spilled some fuel which ignited materials in the room.”

Nelson Fire Rescue said the first arriving crew’s primary objective was to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.

“The crew used a thermal imaging camera to ensure that there was no extension to the building itself,” Nelson Fire Rescue said. “One occupant received burns to his right hand and was taken to hospital by friends.”

“Fortunately, the fire damage was contained to one hotel room and the other hotel guests were able to return about 90 minutes later,” Nelson Fire Rescue added.

Two on duty members responded immediately to the scene followed by additional off-duty members.

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to never use outdoor cooking appliances or BBQ’s designed for outdoor use inside any buildings.

Categories: General

Other News Stories