Today’s Poll

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to kitchen fire at Bevanne Apartments

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
November 25th, 2017

Quick response by neighbourly tenants to a smoke alarm probably prevented a major fire Friday night in Nelson.

In a media release, Nelson Fire Rescue reported members were called to a to a report of an alarm activated at the Bevanne Apartments at 400 Silica Street Friday at approximately 9 p.m.

“An occupant of the building had put food on the stove to cook and had fallen asleep,” the Nelson Fire Rescue release said.

“The food eventually caught fire and filled the apartment with smoke and activated the smoke alarm.”

Three Nelson Fire Rescue firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine, and one utility vehicle.

When members arrived, an evacuation was in progress and a significant amount of smoke was visible on the main floor.

“The smoke alarm was heard by a neighbour and when they went to check if there was a problem they discovered the apartment full of smoke,” Nelson Fire Rescue said.

“The neighbours entered the apartment and attempted to clear the smoke and remove the occupant prior to the arrival of the fire department.”  “Fortunately, the fire had not spread to the cabinets,” the release added.

“The fire department assisted with removing the occupant from the apartment and had EHS respond to assess her for smoke inhalation injuries.”

Nelson Fire Rescue set up positive pressure fans to exhaust the smoke from the hallways on the first and second floors, as well as the apartment where the smoke originated. 

Nelson Fire Rescue said occupants were temporarily displaced while the smoke was removed but were able to return to their apartments in a short period of time.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. 

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind the public not to leave food cooking unattended and to ensure that your smoke alarms are working.

Categories: General

Other News Stories