Today’s Poll

More seats in 2014 mean more trades careers in 2015

By Contributor
January 6th, 2015

In 2014, as part of B.C.’s Skills for Jobs Blueprint, the Province invested $6.8 million to fund an additional 1,424 critical trades seats at 14 public post-secondary institutions throughout B.C.

In 2015, these new critical trades seats will be coming online, making it even easier for individuals to get the training for in-demand jobs.

“A number of important changes were introduced last year to the post-secondary education system as part of B.C.’s Blueprint,” said Minister of Advanced Education Andrew Wilkinson.

This includes aligning funding to market labour needs, adding critical trades training seats, and targeting grants to support high-demand occupations. The work in 2014 is creating a strong foundation on which to build upon in 2015 so we continue to support students, employers and families throughout B.C.”

Careers in construction and other trades offer good wages, benefits and job satisfaction. The additional trades seats have significantly reduced wait lists. Students can begin their studies sooner and begin their new career quicker.

The online trades seat finder instantly shows where available spaces are located. The trade seat finder is part of the Trades Training BC website.

The expanded BC Access Grant makes trades training more accessible for students in financial need. Eligible students may receive up to $16,400 in non-repayable funding to study in-demand foundation trades programs such as steamfitters, heavy-duty equipment mechanics, carpenters, welders and millwrights.

These careers are just some of the top 60 in-demand jobs listed in B.C.’s 2022 Labour Market Outlook.

For example, one individual named Safety Enofe received the full Access Grant amount of $16,400 to support him during his training in Northern Community College’s Power Engineering and Gas Processing program.

The additional trades training seats, the online trades training seat finder, and access to non-repayable funding through the BC Access Grant means students can more easily step into an in-demand career that can provide good wages and benefits for their family.

Why It Matters:

  • There are expected be one million job openings in B.C. by 2022.
  • Retirements are driving job openings across all occupations, while economic growth is boosting openings in occupations like skilled trades.
  • Retirements are expected to result in 68% of job openings; the remaining 32% as a result of economic growth.
  • More than 78% of jobs will require some form of post-secondary education, and 44% of job openings will be in the skilled trades and technical occupations.

Categories: General

Other News Stories