Today’s Poll

Advance Polls for BC Election open Wednesday (May 8)

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
May 7th, 2013

The 40th B.C. Provincial Election may be a week away — Election Day is Tuesday, May 14, 2013 — but voting to see which party will form the next government begins Wednesday with Advance Voting.

Here is some information that will make voting a little easier.

Advance polling stations:

In the riding of Nelson/Creston there are five polling stations opened from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from Wednesday (May 8) to Saturday (May 11).

– Nelson —  Best Western Baker Street Inn, 153 Baker Street.

– Crawford Bay — Crawford Bay Community Hall, 16230 Wadds Road.

– Creston — Holy Cross Hall, 128 – 6th Avenue N.

– Kaslo — Royal Canadian Legion, 403 – Fifth Street

– Salmo — Salmo Valley Youth & Community Centre, 206 – Seventh Street

You Can Vote If:

–      Your a Canadian citizen

–      18 years or older on May 14, 2013

–      Have lived in BC for six months before May 14, 2013

–      Live in the electoral district which you are electing an MLA

–      You’re a registered voter or register when voting (you need to bring identification and current proof of residential address)

Acceptable Identification at the Polling Station:

 – A single document issued by the Government of B.C. or Canada that contains the voter’s name, photograph and residential address, such as a B.C. driver’s licence, B.C. Identification Card (BCID), or B.C. Services Card

 – A Certificate of Indian Status as issued by the Government of Canada

Two documents that together show the voter’s name and residential address.  Both documents must show the voter’s name. At least one of the documents must also contain the voter’s residential address.

Note: Digital or electronic documents (e.g. e-bills) are acceptable.  Hand-written information on a document, photocopies or electronic scans/photos of a paper document is not acceptable.

– A voter that arrives without the necessary identification can be vouched for by a voter in their electoral district that has the necessary identification or by a direct family member or someone who has legal authority to make personal care decisions for the voter.

The voucher must be one of the following:

  • person registered as a voter in the same electoral district and able to produce the necessary identification documents
  • spouse, parent, grandparent, or adult child, grandchild or sibling of the voter
  • a person having authority to make personal care decisions in respect of the applicant

For more information go to the Elections BC website at or call 1-800-661-8683.


Categories: Politics

Other News Stories