The BC government is rolling out three new webinars which will help residents learn about strategies, tools and resources available to help them to spur economic development in their communities.
Building on the success of 15 previously offered 'Economic Development Essentials for Local Leaders' workshops, three free webinars are scheduled for September and October:
- Thursday, Sept. 5 - 1:30-3 p.m. - Being Investment Ready: The Basics
- Thursday, Sept. 26 - 1:30-3 p.m. - Business Retention and Expansion: What Can a BR+E Program Do For Your Community
- Thursday, Oct. 10 - 1:30-3 p.m. - Good Strategic Planning: Getting to Where You Want to Be
"Working with employers and communities to enable job creation throughout the province is a priority of the BC Jobs Plan," said Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour.
"Our government is working to facilitate common understanding of region-specific economic challenges and opportunities. Web-based seminars are one of the strategic tools being utilized to support these goals."
These webinars are offered at no cost and provide rural and urban communities access to expert advice on economic development topics. British Columbians can exchange ideas, good practices and innovative solutions to problems faced by communities.
Since 2009, the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training has delivered 30 different webinars on various topics of interest to local government staff, elected officials and other community leaders throughout British Columbia and beyond.
Webinars have the added benefit of forgoing the travel time, expenses and environmental impacts associated with attending traditional seminars. To learn more, visit the RuralBC website at: www.ruralbc.gov.bc.ca/webinars
- Well over 750 attendees have participated in the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training webinars.
- Webinar participants come from communities in regions throughout British Columbia and beyond, ranging from the Village of Masset to Fort Nelson, and Mount Currie to Fernie as well as national and international locations.
- British Columbia's International Trade and Investment representatives have led and participated in strategic webinars including Mongolia Trade Mission Update and Asia Pacific Twinning from as far away as South Korea.
The Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training webinars are recorded and archived, creating a lasting resource. View and download promotions, recordings and materials from 30 different webinars at your convenience on topics including:
- Provincial Nominee Program
- First Nations and Renewable Energy Opportunities
- Social Media for Rural Business Support
- Community Economic Development 101
- For the earliest notice of upcoming webinars, members of the public can subscribe to the RuralBC RSS feed: www.ruralbc.gov.bc.ca/feed.xml
- The Province of British Columbia welcomes ideas for future webinar topics, which can be submitted to: email@example.com