by Lone Sheep Publishing on Thursday August 04 2022
The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) and the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) invite Southfork and Kaslo area residents to attend a public information session being held in Kaslo on Friday August, 5, 2022 at 5 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch.
The RDCK said this public information session is strictly for those in Southfork, Kaslo and the surrounding area impacted by the Briggs Creek wildfire.
The RDCK said information on the Briggs Creek wildfire will be provided with representatives attending from the BCWS, RDCK Emergency Operations Centre and the Kaslo Fire Department.
The RDCK said there will also be an opportunity for residents to ask questions.
The public information session will take place:
- Date: Friday August 5, 2022
- Time: 5 p.m.
- Location: Royal Canadian Legion Branch 74 at 403 5th Street, Kaslo, BC V0G 1M0
For the latest information on the current wildfire situation go to BCWS or www.rdck.ca/eocinfo
RDCK issues Evacuation Alert due to Briggs Creek wildfire
On the recommendation of the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued an Evacuation Alert Monday for the properties on Kaslo Creek South Fork road in Electoral Area ‘D”.
(See map of the Evacuation Alert area below.)
The Evacuation Alert is due to the Briggs Creek Wildfire located west of the Village of Kaslo, which started Monday, August 1, 2020.
BC Wildfire Service estimates the lightning caused wildfire at 386 hectares as of Monday.
The Evacuation Alert addresses include:
- 2130 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2138 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2140 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2150 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2160 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2180 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2188 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2194 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2198 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2201 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2209 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2215 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2221 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
- 2225 KASLO CK SOUTH FORK RD
The RDCK EOC said at this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate.
However, the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice.
Residents should prepare their emergency grab and go bag, prepare to move pets and livestock to a safe area, and sign up to receive RDCK emergency notifications. Part of your plan should include where you can go if evacuated, such as staying with friends or family.
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available.
For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo.
The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701. At this time during the Alert phase, the EOC public inquiry line will be monitored during business hours, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
For up to date information on current wildfire activity, conditions and prohibitions, call 1.888.336.7378 or visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- RDCK web map
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Events
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro 1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- For BC Air Quality Health Index
- Prepared BC
The map shows the Evacuation Alert area for the properties on Kaslo Creek South Fork road in Electoral Area ‘D”. — RDCK image