Based on the recommendation from BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) regarding the 20-hectare Merry Creek wildfire (N51165), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) is rescinding the Evacuation Order for 31 properties and the Evacuation Alert for one property in Electoral Area J as of 12:30 pm today. The rescind order means residents can now return to their properties. The State of Local Emergency has also been cancelled.
“Crews have done an incredible job in containing this wildfire and minimizing damage to property,” said Nora Hannon, EOC Director and RDCK Regional Fire Chief. “With the hot weather continuing and only the beginning of wildfire season, this is a reminder to residents the importance of being careful and alert for any possible fire dangers when being outdoors.”
The City of Castlegar has also rescinded its Evacuation Alert for six areas. For more information visit the City of Castlegar website.
The Merry Creek Wildfire, located SW of Castlegar, was originally discovered on Thursday July 1. BCWS has declared the wildfire to be 90% contained and being held with the expectation the wildfire will be 100% contained within the next operational period. For more information on the wildfire, please visit the BCWS Wildfire of Note Page.
The RDCK originally issued an Evacuation Order on July 1 for 31 properties on 14th Ave., Fernwood Drive, Highway 3, Killough Road, Lucas Ave, Lucas Road, Mason Road, and Merry Creek Forest Service Road. An additional property on Meadowbrook Dr. was put on Evacuation Alert on July 2.
Highway 3 will be reopened today to single lane traffic. Visit the Drive BC website for the most up to date information.
Power will remain out for a number of homes in the area while work is completed by BCWS. Go to Fortis BC’s website for updates.
The RDCK advises people to remain vigilant in the event that conditions change and an Evacuation Alert or Order may be re-issued and the evacuation process will recommence. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event another emergency.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: www.rdck.ca/eocinfo or call 250-352-7701
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca/emergencynotification and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://voyent-alert.com/community/?page_id
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status - Emergency Contact Number 1-800-663-5555 or *5555
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc