The fifth time is the charm for the chair of the regional district’s board of directors.
Aimee Watson — the director of Area D — has been elected as chair of the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) board of directors for the fifth time, after directors voted on Thursday morning in the first meeting of the new board at the Nelson board room on Lakeside Drive.
The newest directors of the RDCK were sworn in at their inaugural meeting, with the first order of business on the meeting agenda was the election of the RDCK board chair, which was claimed by Watson.
“I am really inspired to be working with such a diverse team, communities and building community capacity, which brings me a lot of passion,” she said in a release from the RDCK. “Being on executive for the past four years and with such a big turnover at the table, I definitely wanted to see a continuum on the relationships we have built.”
Lockwood, mayor of the Village of Salmo and RDCK director, was elected vice chair. According to regional district bylaw the chair and vice chair serve one-year terms.
Lockwood joined the executive for her first term and wanted to find a balance between the needs of rural areas and municipal areas.
“I believe that we needed to have a municipal lens sitting at that executive level,” she said in the release. “We have had rural areas represented at the executive level for the last three years and I think I can bring a little bit more to the table.”
Over half of the 20 regional district board directors are new at 11, with five who were elected in the electoral areas through the general election.
The roster of directors includes:
• Area A – Garry Jackman (acclaimed - incumbent);
• Area B – Roger Tierney (elected);
• Area C – Kelly Vandenberghe (elected);
• Area D – Aimee Watson (acclaimed - incumbent);
• Area E – Cheryl Graham (elected);
• Area F – Tom Newell (acclaimed - incumbent);
• Area G – Hans Cunningham (elected – incumbent);
• Area H – Walter Popoff (acclaimed - incumbent);
• Area I – Andy Davidoff (acclaimed - incumbent);
• Area J – Henny Hanegraaf (elected); and
• Area K – Teresa Weatherhead (acclaimed).
Salmo Mayor Diana Lockwood and Aimee Watson of Area D were elected vice chair and chair, respectively, at the inaugural meeting of the RDCK Thursday. — Submitted photo
There are nine directors appointed by RDCK member municipalities to the board. Those people include:
• City of Castlegar – Mayor Maria McFaddin;
• Town of Creston – Mayor Arnold DeBoon;
• Village of Kaslo – Mayor Suzan Hewat (incumbent);
• Village of Nakusp – Coun. Aidan McLaren-Caux;
• City of Nelson – Coun. Keith Page;
• Village of New Denver – Mayor Leonard Casley;
• Village of Salmo – Mayor Diana Lockwood (incumbent);
• Village of Silverton – Mayor Colin Ferguson; and
• Village of Slocan – Mayor Jessica Lunn (incumbent).
A meeting of the board
The meetings of the board of directors happen once per month — the third Thursday of the month — and are open to the public. The meetings begin at 9 a.m. in the regional district boardroom (202 Lakeside Drive).
People can join the meeting in person or virtually. Agendas and minutes are made available on the RDCK website.
• For a complete Board Schedule.