Some key dates for the HST referendum were announced Friday.
• Monday, June 13 – Elections BC starts mailing out referendum ballots for the HST to all registered voters.
• Friday, June 24 – Majority of British Columbians have received the ballot.
• Friday, July 8 – Last day for unregistered voters to request a ballot from Elections BC.
• Friday, July 22, 4:30 p.m. (local time) – Completed ballots must be received by mail by Elections BC or in person by a Service BC centre.
Elections BC, a non-partisan office of the legislature, will conduct the referendum.
British Columbians who are not registered voters for a provincial election, or who have moved since the last election and have not updated their voter record, will need to request a ballot from Elections BC.
It will take several weeks for Elections BC to count the ballots. Results of the vote are expected in August.
The referendum question will be:
“Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and reinstating the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) in conjunction with the GST (Goods and Services Tax)? Yes/No.”
• For more information on the HST, visit: www.hstinbc.ca
• For more information on Elections BC, visit: www.elections.bc.ca