On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 the Grand Forks RCMP were advised of an above ground propane leak at the Canco gas station situated along Highway 3 within the community of Grand Forks, BC.
Highway 3 was closed and as a precautionary measure neighboring buildings that included Grand Forks Secondary and Dr. D.A. Perley Elementary schools were evacuated. The Grand Forks Fire Department were successful in stopping the leak and for one hour the area remained secure for the propane to dissipate.
As of 1:40 p.m, Highway 3 re-opened and persons were permitted to return to the buildings and the area.