Bombers finished seventh at AAA Girls Volleyball Championships, LVR shines as Fall season concludes
L.V. Rogers Bombers teams were very busy during the BC School Sports fall season — running trails, swimming in the pool, running the pitch and digging and jumping on the courts.
The results enabled many of the athletes to shine both on the local and provincial stages.
The L.V. Rogers Bombers returned with a seventh-place finish at the BC High School AAA Girls Volleyball Championships in Dawson Creek to culminate a very successful season on the court.
The Bombers defeated College Heights of Prince George in Championship Round action to finish in the top half of the 15-team tournament.
LVR finished first following preliminary round action to advance as the eighth seeded team in the championship round.
The Bombers edged out Crofton House in a thriller to advance to the Championship Round, where eventual Provincial Champion Sentinel of Vancouver defeated LVR.
LVR then lost another tight contest to Brentwood College before defeating College Heights.
The Kootenay AAA champs, with regular season tournament wins at Mount Sentinel and Selkirk in Kimberley, won the Fair Play team award while power hitter Atlyn Proctor was named to the First All Star team.
Cross Country Running:
- The LVR Cross Country team showed no sign of slowing down throughout the season. A group of dedicated runners who showed that training on the hills of Nelson proves to be quite the advantage. The Sr. Girls placed second overall in the “AA” tier in the entire province. Mitchell Erickson sprinted his way to a fourth place finish at the Provincials in Surrey.
- The LVR Boys’ soccer team dominated the pitch in the Kootenay region before winning in a thrilling 1-0 victory against the Selkirk Secondary Storm from Kimberley in the Provincial Zone qualifier. The team competed in the provincials in Burnaby winning two of four games finishing 13th overall in the province. The Bombers also won the “Fair Play” award for the provincial tournament. Cristobal Jakob was named to the “Super 16” squad as an all-star for the tournament.
7’s Boys’ & Girls’ Rugby:
- Competing against schools from around the Kootenays the rugby squads displayed great growth on the field. Playing in Castlegar, Cranbrook and hosting matches at Lakeside field the team tackled their way to great success on the field.
Jr. Girls Volleyball:
- This group of talented young LVR volleyball prospects served up a number of impressive victories throughout their season. From tournaments in Oliver to their final West Kootenay zones in Trail, the girls displayed their tremendous growth as a team. The girls finished their season winning the West Kootenay championships.
Jr. Boys Volleyball:
- The LVR Junior Boys volleyball team competed in West Kootenay exhibition play and displayed significant improvement in their skills. A keen group of athletes who display significant promise moving forward next season with the varsity volleyball team.
Sr. Boys Volleyball:
- A dedicated group of high-flying players made it clear that boys’ volleyball is back on the rise at LVR. Playing in tournaments in Kelowna to Kimberley, the squad showed significant improvements throughout their season. The team finished 2nd overall in the Kootenays’ narrowly missing a berth to the AA Provincials.
- LVR swimmers had a terrific training and competition season. Led by coach Niallan Collier, the swimmers trained hard in the early morning hours and showcased their talent by hosting the Kootenay Zone swim meet here at the NDCC. LVR had five swimmers compete in the Provincials in Nanaimo with Kallie Badry and Megan Bonikowsky dominating the lanes.
The Bomber Athletic Department would like to send a big thanks to all the coaches and teacher-sponsors for their dedication, effort and volunteerism throughout the past three months.
“Without your help, LVR sport programs would not be possible.”
As the fall season is completed, LVR athletes take their talents to the hardcourt for an exciting basketball season ahead.
Below is the home schedule for the LVR Basketball Teams:
- Wednesday, December 6th: Jr. & Sr. Boys vs Stanley Humphries of Castlegar (4:30 & 6:00 PM)
- Wednesday, February 14th: Jr. & Sr. Boys vs J. Lloyd Crowe (4:30 & 6:00 PM)
- Thursday, December 15th: Sr. Girls vs Stanley Humphries of Castlegar (5:00 PM)
- Friday, January 5th & January 6th: Jr. Boys Bomber Invitational Tournament
- Saturday, January 12th & January 13th: Sr. Girls/Boys Kootenay Classic Tournament
- Thursday, January 18th: Sr. Girls vs Grand Forks SS (5:00 pm)
- Thursday, February 8th: Jr. & Sr. Boys vs Grand Forks SS (4:00 & 5:30 PM)
- Wednesday, February 21st: Sr. Boys Provincial Qualifier vs J. Lloyd Crowe (6:00 PM)