Trail RCMP help arrest Castlegar man for allegedly robbing Salmo gas station
On April 21, 2022, Trail and Greater District, Salmo, and Castlegar RCMP officers teamed up to arrest a 35-year-old Castlegar man who allegedly robbed the Centex Gas Station in the 5000 block of Hwy 3B, near Salmo, according to Trail RCMP Sgt. Mike Wicentowich.
Just after 9 p.m., a Salmo RCMP officer responded to the robbery at the gas station after the man was accused of stealing items from the store while threatening to assault employees. The man fled in a stolen vehicle toward the Trail area. He and his stolen vehicle were located by Trail RCMP officers.
The suspect again fled back toward Salmo; however, ran out of gas on Hwy 3B near Champion Lakes Road, in Fruitvale. RCMP officers actively searching the area found the stranded man and arrested him without further incident.
The 35-year-old Castlegar man remains in custody and will make his first appearance in court via video conference before a Provincial Court Judge on April 26, 2022.
Trail and Salmo RCMP are recommending the following criminal charges to Crown Counsel:
- Robbery contrary to Section 344(1) of the Criminal Code;
- Flight from Peace Officer contrary to Section 320.17 of the Criminal Code;
- Theft of Motor Vehicle contrary to Section 333.1 of the Criminal Code;
- Possession of Property obtained by Crime contrary to Section 355(b) of the Criminal Code;
- Drive while Prohibited contrary to Section 95(1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act;
- Possession of Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition contrary to Section 117.01(1) of the Criminal Code.