Today’s Poll

Lone resident taken to hospital with minor injuries following explosion in Rosemont

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
December 16th, 2020

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said in a media release Wednesday that a Nelson resident was taken to hospital with minor injuries following an explosion Tuesday afternoon at a residential complex near Selkirk College Silver King Campus in Rosemont.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said when emergency responders attended the 2:44 p.m. call, crews found a door that had blown off the unit with all windows broken and blown outwards.

“There was no fire other than some cloth materials burning outside the home,” Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said, adding the primary objective when arriving was to ensure there were no serious injuries or fire extension within the suite.

“The explosion caused minor structural damage to the unit and the lone resident was transported to the hospital with apparent minor injuries.”

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said the cause of the explosion appears to be the resident using butane gas inside the unit.

However, Police and Fire officials continue to investigate this incident.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind residents that this incident had the potential to be far more serious.

“Using any kind of flammable liquid such as camping gas, gasoline or compressed gasses such as butane or propane inside a building can have very serious consequences,” Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said.

“These products must only be used outside in well ventilated spaces.”

A look at the inside of the apartment shows extensive damage due to the explosion. — Nelson Fire and Rescue Services photo

Categories: General

Other News Stories

Opinion