Today’s Poll

Poorly discarded smoking material blamed for structure fire in Fairview

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
November 6th, 2020

Poorly discarded smoking material is being blamed for a structure fire in Fairview Thursday morning Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said in a media release.

The call came in at 10:20 a.m. of a report of smoke coming from an apartment building. 

The on-duty Nelson Fire and Rescue Services crew responded immediately.

“Upon arrival, crews observed neighbouring residents standing outside and smoke billowing out of an apartment on the first floor,” Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said.

“The first arriving crew’s primary objective was to ensure no one was still inside the unit and to extinguish the fire.”

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said  a member of the Nelson Police Department arrived on scene just prior to firefighters and made entry but was unable to fully search the unit due to heavy smoke conditions.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said the two mattresses on fire were quickly removed from the premises and extinguished.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services said no injuries were reported as a result of this incident with damage is estimated at $1000.

In total  four firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine and one utility vehicle. 

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure smoking material is fully extinguished and whenever possible to smoke outdoors away from structures and to not extinguish smoking materials in outdoor planters. 

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services also adivises to always have a working smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector.

Categories: General


Other News Stories