Today’s Poll

Carbon Monoxide Scare in Rosemont

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
November 5th, 2020

Residents of a home in Rosemont escaped serious injury following a Carbon Monoxide leak Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said in a media release Wednesday.

Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said Tuesday evening at approximately 8 p.m., on-duty members responded to a report of a Carbon Monoxide alarm sounding in a residence on Silver King Road in Rosemont.

While firefighters raced to the residences, residents were instructed to evacuate to fresh air.

“Upon arrival, with the residents safely outside, the crew donned breathing equipment and investigated with a multi-gas detector,” Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said.

“The detector showed readings over 170 parts per million of Carbon Monoxide, which can be very dangerous when inhaled for more than a short period of time.”

Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a dangerous by-product of fuel burning devices such as wood/pellet stoves and fireplaces and natural gas or propane appliances, such as non-electric furnaces and hot water tanks.

“CO is a colourless and odourless gas that can have potentially fatal outcomes for residents and their pets if a release goes undetected.,” Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said.

“In this case, it was extremely fortunate the residents had just installed CO Detector a few weeks earlier and called 911 for assistance once it went into alarm.”

Nelson Fire Rescue and Services said the owner turned off the furnace which fire crews suspected was not working properly.

Crews ventilated the home until CO levels were brought to zero and the owner of the property was advised to contact FortisBC to assess the furnace.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensurethey have working Smoke Alarms and a working CO Detector in their homes.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services also would ask residents to ensure your heating appliances have all been cleaned and serviced and are working/venting properly.

Nelson residents are encouraged to call Nelson Fire and Rescue Services at (250) 352-3101 with any questions or for assistance.

Categories: General

Other News Stories

Opinion