Calls for submissions; Juried Youth Art Exhibition extended
Artists (ages 15-24) are invited to submit visual or media artwork to be considered for a professional juried exhibition at Oxygen Art Centre opening in April 2020. We invite young artists to select finished work or produce new work that addresses the theme: If I Can’t Dance To It, It’s Not My Revolution. The deadline to submit an application is Saturday, March 7, 2020 by 5 PM.
The juried group exhibition’s title is in part derived from a similar phrase by feminist anarchist and writer, Emma Goldman (1869-1940), and further appropriated by Toronto-based band, DOOMSQUAD on their album, “Let Yourself Be Seen” (2019). If I Can’t Dance To It, It’s Not My Revolution invokes the hope and horror of the contemporary moment with fantastic contradiction that comes with being a young person today. For significant social change to be effective it needs to engage the creative cortex, one that includes both the mind and the heart. It is a reminder that creative people make the best revolutionaries—and perhaps even the best dancers.
Questions to consider might include: As a young Kootenay artist, how do you respond to your environmental, political, and/or historical placements? How does living in or originating from the Kootenay region influence your art practice and perspective? How do you contend with the contradictions of experience as a young person today through your visual art practice?
This exhibition will pay professional artist fees and is open to young artists working in all mediums: painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, installation, video, sound, crafts, and performance art. We encourage artists to respond to this call in an innovative manner, from the context of their own practice and interests.
Oxygen Art Centre is integral to the regional arts community as a steppingstone for professional artists. Taking part in this exhibition call is a wonderful opportunity to build professional experience at all levels and to share your practice with the wider community.
Submissions will be accepted by mail, email, or hand delivery and should be addressed to the Oxygen Art Centre.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Juried Youth Art Show Submission
By mail or drop off: Oxygen Art Centre, #3A – 320 Vernon Street Nelson B.C. V1L 4E4
Deadline: Received by 5:00 PM (PST), 7 March 2020
Applicants will be notified of results by 15 March 2020
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum two pages)
- Artist Bio including a statement about your connection to the Kootenays or the exhibition theme (maximum 2 paragraphs)
- 5 to 10 images (jpeg format with a resolution of 72 dpi) of the work intended for exhibition or related/recent work, or equivalent media files. For media or performance work submit direct links or DVD in .avi, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg format. Do not send video files electronically.
- Image List with image numbers, artist name, title of work, date, medium and dimensions.
- Artist’s Statement describing the proposed or completed work intended for the exhibition (max 500 words)