Today’s Poll

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to call in Railtown

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
July 15th, 2018

Malfunctioning equipment led to a power issue that reportedly thought to have caused a kitchen fire in Railtown said Nelson Fire Rescue in a media release Sunday.

Nelson Fire Rescue were first advised of the issue at 9:58 a.m, Sunday at 512 Railway Street.

“Upon arrival of the first crew the facility looked to be evacuated and nothing visual was observed,” said Nelson Fire Rescue. “The first arriving crew’s primary objective was to ensure all occupants were evacuated and to do an initial primary size-up.”

Nelson Fire Rescue Command spoke with the facility supervisor outside to get details of what the situation entailed.

“They indicated that an electrical smell and smoke was observed in the rear of the structure,” the release said. “Also it was reported the building seemed to only have half power.”

Using a Thermal Imaging Camera, Nelson Fire Recue determined that two separate motors were excessively hot.

Nelson Hydro as well as an electrician attended the scene, sourcing the cause as a malfunctioning equipment. Both on duty members responded immediately followed by six additional off-duty members responding to the station along with two fire engines, one tender truck and one utility vehicle.

Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure they report all unusual smell/smoke observations by calling 911 to ensure a swift response by Fire crews. Facility personal did an impressive job in evacuation of the facility and by calling 911 to report this incident.

Categories: General

Other News Stories

Opinion