Today’s Poll

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to false alarm at Granite Manor

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
April 16th, 2018

A report of a fire Sunday morning at the Granite Manor Apartments turned out to be a false alarm said Nelson Fire Rescue in a media release.

Two calls, coming at 11:29 a.m. Sunday, said there was flames on the roof at 104 Morgan Street, site of Granite Manor Apartments.

“Upon arrival of the first crew, no flame or smoke was observed, but a large orange sodium-vapour light was illuminated on the roof of the building,” the media release said.

“The first arriving crew gained access to the roof and to the elevator access room to investigate if a fire was actually present.”

“Crews found no fire or smoke and suspect that callers mistook the orange light and rising steam from the rooftop for flames and smoke,” Nelson Fire Rescue added.

Nelson Fire Rescue said six firefighters along with Nelson Fire Chief Len MacCharles, responded to the incident with two fire engines and one utility vehicle. 

“Despite this being a false alarm, Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to thank members of the public for the notification of a possible fire,” the release said.

“It is better to call early and find no fire, than to call later only to find a substantially-increased one.”

 

Categories: General

Other News Stories

Opinion