Today’s Poll

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to Oso Negro Roastery chimney fire

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
January 27th, 2018

Damage was contained to the chimney after firefighters responded to a fire at Oso Negro Roastery Friday (January 26) a Nelson Fire Rescue media release said.

The call came in at 7:43 a.m. to a report of a fire in the chimney for the roaster.

Nelson Fire Rescue said both on duty members responded immediately followed by five additional off-duty members responding to the station.

"Upon arrival of the first crew, Oso staff had discharged a dry chemical extinguisher into the chimney in an attempt to slow the fire down," the release said.

"The first arriving crew’s primary objective was to stop the fire spread and check for extension. The crew used a thermal imaging camera to ensure that there was no extension to the building itself.

"The damage was contained to the chimney and the roastery was advised to have the system serviced to ensure that there was no damage."

Nelson Fire Rescue said seven firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engines and two utility vehicles.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.

Nelson Fire Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure that they are cleaning and maintaining their chimneys.

Categories: General

Other News Stories