Explosions rock Kamloops neighbourhood
A family is looking for a place to live after fire caused extensive damage to a duplex in Kamloops Tuesday afternoon.
At approximately 12:45 p.m. Tuesday (September 10) Kamloops RCMP received a report of two shots being heard near a residence on Alexander Avenue.
The caller then stated that he could hear explosions and see flames. Police and Kamloops Fire and Rescue responded to the residence in the 300 block of Alexander Avenue where a house was on fire, with numerous loud explosions being heard.
As emergency personnel arrived on scene, a live hydro line had fallen and was on the roadway. The area was promptly closed off to the public as all crews began to get control of the situation. It was determined that all occupants of the duplex had safely left the residence, but a family dog perished in the fire.
The cause of the fire is still being determined, but the homeowner states that he was working on a vehicle in the garage area when he heard the first bang and saw smoke.
As the explosions continued, he got out safely with his wife and infant, their other child was not home during the fire. This male suffered non- life threatening injuries and was transported to Royal Inland Hospital.
The two residents on the other side of the duplex also made it out safely, with no injuries.
Kamloops Fire Department noted that there were various cylinders located within the garage area that would have accounted for the explosions.
The investigation into the matter continues.