Housing, baseball and Woodstock occupy Nelson council tonight
The heroes of Woodstock, a plan for upgrading a baseball field in Lions Park and a housing committee report will all have their time in the spotlight tonight in City council.
Council is opening the floor for their monthly committee of the whole meeting (7 p.m.), the chance for community groups and individuals to bring their concerns to council, or for them to update the City on their work.
Heroes of Woodstock
On behalf of the Transition Nelson Society, Bill McNally, has requested an audience with Council to provide information on the Heroes of Woodstock Show at Lakeside Park.
The original request for the show was received in early 2011. The event did not move forward in 2011 as concerns raised by departments were not able to be addressed in time for the event to be presented to council and proceed on the date as requested by the event organizer.
Dave Wahn, manager of Development Services and Sustainability, will provide an update of the Subdivision Bylaw to regulate and require the provision of works and services in respect to the subdivision and development of land within the City of Nelson.
The purpose of this bylaw is to establish standards for Works and Services which must be constructed and installed to service any subdivision or development of lands within the City of Nelson.
Lions Park Plan including upgraded baseball diamond
Rick Crozier of the Lions Club and Nelson’s Baseball Association Corbin Comishin are presenting a proposal to upgrade the existing baseball diamond at Lions Park.
Council received a proposal for an upgrade to the Lion’s Park at the Oct. 11 regular council meeting. Representatives of the Lions Club, Nelson Baseball Association, Council and City staff met on Wednesday, Oct. 19 to further discuss options for the Lion’s Park upgrade proposal.
Council received a copy of the original proposal from the Nelson Baseball Association at the Oct. 11 meeting.
Nelson Housing Forum
Coun. Donna Macdonald requested an audience with council to provide an update of the terms of reference for the Nelson Housing Forum.
The Terms of Reference are a draft version only for Council’s information.
The City of Nelson Housing Forum is a select committee of council. The Forum’s mandate is to identify critical housing needs and work with housing providers and other partners to find collaborative, cost-effective approaches that will expand Nelson’s stock of affordable housing, for the betterment of the community as a whole.
The work of the Forum is guided by the City of Nelson Affordable Housing Strategy (July 2010).
Specific roles of the Housing Forum are to:
- Be a facilitator for long-term planning for affordable housing.
- Create opportunities for sharing of resources (such as housing consultants and project managers) and information on funding sources and requirements.
- Provide education on topics such as the process for developing new housing projects, the roles of BC Housing, CMHC, the CBT and other potential partners, etc.
- Advance the readiness of proposed housing projects through periodic assessments of readiness and identification of needed next steps.
- Support the efforts of Forum members to move forward with their projects.
- Advocate with the City regarding costs of permits, utility costs, use of the housing reserve fund, etc. for initiatives that provide lower-cost housing.
- Keep City Council and potential developers appraised of evolving housing needs, and be available to advise the City on housing issues and/or to review development proposals, as requested by Council.