Today’s Poll

Illegal dumping at Slocan Transfer Station could result in police action

Timothy Schafer
By Timothy Schafer
May 18th, 2011

Illegal dumping of garbage is beginning to plague the Slocan Valley, so much that the regional district government is threatening police action.

The regional district’s Resource Recovery department is claiming the Slocan Transfer Station chronically wrestles with the problems of illegal dumping activity, both at the transfer station and throughout the valley in general.

As a result, the Regional District of Central Kootenay is currently investigating specific incidents of illegal dumping at the Slocan Transfer Station and Recycling Depot and the police could become involved.

“The RDCK is taking steps to combat and prevent illegal dumping at these facilities in partnership with local authorities,” the department claimed in a press release.

In addition to littering, people in the valley have been burning garbage, burying garbage at locations other than a legally accepted facility, dumping garbage at locations other than a legally accepted facility, and improper disposal — leaving waste in or near the wrong receptacle — using the dumpster from a business or putting garbage in a recycling bin.

“Illegal dumping is a community problem that can attract wildlife, create health and safety hazards and also increases the risk of fire.”

People are encouraged to recycle wherever possible and to properly dispose of garbage by bringing it to local transfer stations or landfills.


People can report illegal dumping
To report illegal dumping at an RDCK landfill or transfer station please call: 1-800-268-RDCK (7325) or e-mail

Please leave your contact information, a description of the waste at the site, the location of the dump site, vehicle description, date, time and any other information that may be relevant.

To report littering, illegal dump sites, burn barrels, unauthorized use of a dumpster or dumping chemicals, pesticides, used automotive fluids and other pollutants. Call 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP).

For more information visit:

Categories: Crime

Other News Stories