Back to top

Police investigation reveals male suffered an overdose of ecstasy outside Nelson club

The deadly drug ecstasy (MDMA) has been blamed to have caused the overdose of a 21-year-old male at midnight Friday outside the Hume Hotel’s Spirit Bar in Nelson.

Nelson Police received a call regarding a medical issue at midnight on January 27th at the Spirit Bar.

When police arrived the male was found unconscious directly outside the bar being tended to by friends.

B.C Ambulance was called and the male was transported to Kootenay Lake Hospital.

The police investigation revealed that the male had suffered an overdose of ecstasy (MDMA, an acronym for its chemical name 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine).

Nelson Police report overdose was not fatal but the condition of the male remains unknown.

The public should be reminded of the numerous serious cases of ecstasy overdoses that have occurred in B.C. and Alberta.

During the weekend two suspected deaths were reported in Calgary and Nanton, Alta.

At least five people have died in B.C., where a coroner confirmed the toxic chemical was present.

Ecstasy or MDMA is a synthetic, psychoactive (mind-altering) drug with hallucinogenic and amphetamine-like properties and is popular at clubs and raves.

Its chemical structure is similar to two other synthetic drugs, MDA and methamphetamine, which are known to cause brain damage.

For more information on Ecstasy or MDMA go to the Health Canada website at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/drugs-drogues/learn-renseigne/ecstasy-eng.php