Back to top

Nelson Fire Rescue responds to kitchen fire at local residence

Damage to the house, estimated to be approximately $10,000, was confined to the kitchen with some smoke damage to rest of house. — Photo courtesy Nelson Fire Rescue

No one was severely injured following a kitchen fire at a Nelson residence Nelson Fire Rescue said in a media release Wednesday.

Two on- duty members responded immediately to the call at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday and were met by the occupant of the home who advised the stove top was on fire and it was spreading to the kitchen cabinets. Four additional members responded to the station from home.

“The initial crew set up for an offensive fire attack and made entry and extinguished the fire once additional members were on scene,” Nelson Fire Rescue said.

“This quick response prevented the fire from spreading any further. Overhaul was conducted to ensure there was no extension elsewhere in the structure.”

Nelson Fire Rescue said one male occupant from the basement suite attempted to extinguish the fire. 

“He received burns to his hands experienced smoke inhalation,” Nelson Fire Rescue said. “Assessment was transferred from Nelson Fire & Rescue members to BCEHS and the patient was transported to Kootenay Lake Hospital for further treatment.”

Damage to the house, estimated to be approximately $10,000, was confined to the kitchen as well as smoke damage throughout the home. 

“This incident is an important reminder of always having working smoke alarms and making a quick call to 9-1-1 when a problem is discovered,” Nelson Fire Rescue said.

In all ten members responded to the incident in two engines and two utility vehicles. Red Cross Emergency Support Services was called to assist the displaced residents.