Nelson Fire & Rescue said a decorative globe concentrating the sun’s rays onto the wooden railing was the cause of a small fire in Fairview Sunday afternoon.
In a media release, Nelson Fire & Rescue responded to the fire at 3:25 p.m. after it was reported that flames and smoke coming from a Fairview house.
“The fire originated on the deck, burning parts of the wooden railing, as well as some extension to the wooden siding and trim,” Nelson Fire & Rescue said in the release.
“It was determined that the cause of the fire was due to a decorative globe concentrating the sun’s rays onto the wooden railing, which ignited and spread to the house.”
Nelson Police Department, first on scene, were able to determine that the fire was burning on the outside of the residence and used the homeowner’s garden hose to extinguish the bulk of the visible fire.
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services crews arrived immediately after police and checked the interior of the structure to ensure that there was no fire inside.
“Once (crews) were satisfied that the fire was contained to the exterior they were able to remove pieces of the wooden siding and deck railing to completely extinguish the fire,” Nelson Fire & Rescue said.
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to thank the member of the public that noticed the fire and called 911, as well as the quick actions taken by the Nelson Police Department members that significantly contributed to reducing the amount of fire damage and preventing it from extending into the soffit.
Nelson Fire & Rescue said eight firefighters responded to the incident with two fire engines, and one utility vehicle.
No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. Damage is estimated at $5000.
Nelson Fire & Rescue Services would like to remind the public that glass objects, or anything else that can refract light, could magnify the sun’s rays and ignite objects such as decking and siding.
This is especially important with the heat wave warning issued by Environment Canada for the upcoming week.