In the interest of public and responder safety, the BC Wildfire Service said an area restriction is now in effect within the Little Slocan area due to the Talbot Creek (N51250) wildfire.
The Talbot Creek wildfire, located In the Slocan Valley, approximately 3.5 km northwest of Highway 6 and about 30 km north of Nelson, is now estimated to be 188 hectares.
In a media release, the BC Wildfire Service said personnel were preparing for an anticipated wind event Monday.
BC Wildfire Service said crews and aviation resources were focusing suppression efforts on the south and east flanks of the fire.
“Initial attack crews continue to work on constructing helipads to support helicopter resources,” BC Wildfire Service said.
“Dozer and excavators are being moved into place to begin work on a contingency fire guard along the south-southeast flank.”
The area restriction includes:
- The area restriction includes the area beginning at the intersection of the powerlines and Little Slocan Main FSR, heading northwest then north following, and including, the Little Slocan Main FSR, heading east at the south end of Upper Little Slocan Lake to the height of land on Perry Ridge.
- This restriction then continues following the height of land south over Perry Peak, heading southwest in a straight line intersecting Little Slocan South Rd and continuing back to the point of commencement.
- Little Slocan lake is not included in the area restriction and can still be accessed from the north.
Under this Order and section 11(2) of the Wildfire Act, a person must not remain in or enter the restricted area, unless the person:
- first receives written authorization of an official designated for the purposes of the Wildfire Act, or enters the area only in the course of:
- travelling to or from his or her residence, that is not under an evacuation order;
- using a highway as defined in the Transportation Act;
- travelling as a person acting in an official capacity as defined in s.56 of the Wildfire Act; or
- travelling for the purpose of supporting wildfire suppression or enforcement patrol activities.
BC Wildfire Service said road closures and area restrictions are subject to change depending on fire activity.
For the most current information please visit the bans and restrictions section of the BC Wildfire website for the Southeast Fire Centre, or visit this link: http://ow.ly/WlFn50B7XVV